Our Silymarin capsule provides 300 mg of silymarin from 360 mg of standardized milk thistle (Silybum marianum) extract. Silymarin complex, particularly the silybum component, helps to support the liver through antioxidant activity and stabilization of the cell membranes.* Use with Alpha Lipoic Acid 300 mg for a complete hepatic protective protocol. *
- Supports liver tissue and function*
- Potent liver protective botanical extract*
- Aids in liver detoxification processes*
Each size 00 vegetarian cellulose capsule contains:
(from Milk Thistle Seed Extract, Silybum marianum, standardized to 80% silymarin)
Other ingredients: vegetarian cellulose capsule
What is Silymarin?
Silymarin is an extract of milk thistle (Silybum marianum), the most popular dietary supplement for the support of healthy liver function . Silymarin is an herbal product and no health hazards or side effects have been documented in conjunction with proper administration . Our Silymarin capsule provides 300 mg of silymarin from 360 mg of standardized milk thistle (Silybum marianum) extract.
How does Silymarin Work?
Silymarin supports the stability of cell membranes and has antioxidant activities, meaning it helps to prevent, slow, or repair damage caused by free radicals . Silymarin also promotes the regeneration of liver cells, reduces inflammatory reactions, and inhibits the overgrowth of connective tissue (fibrogenesis) in the liver . The specific way in which silymarin takes effect on cellular mechanisms indicates that silymarin may also help to reduce the toxic effects of other drugs .
Apoptotic cell death of hepatocytes is now known to be a characteristic of virtually all acute and chronic liver diseases . Silymarin modulates the imbalance between cell survival and apoptosis by interfering with cell cycle regulators and proteins involved in apoptosis . Antioxidants might aid in the prevention of severe and sudden hepatic failure by interfering with the deadly cascade . Silymarin is also known to increase hepatic glutathione (the body’s master antioxidant) and may also boost the liver’s endogenous production of antioxidants .
What are the Suggested Uses for Silymarin?
- Supports liver function, repair, and regeneration.*
- Potent botanical extract that protects the liver from oxidative stress, fibrogenesis, and sudden disease onset.*
- Aids in liver detoxification processes.*
Allergens: According to information provided by our suppliers, these capsules are free of the eight major allergens as identified by the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (FALCPA): Wheat (gluten), eggs, milk, soybeans, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts.
Recommendations: Use as directed by a healthcare professional.
Precautions: Pregnant or lactating women and individuals taking prescription medications should consult with a healthcare professional before taking any supplement.
- Fehér, János, and Gabriella Lengyel. "Silymarin in the prevention and treatment of liver diseases and primary liver cancer." Current pharmaceutical biotechnology 13.1 (2012): 210-217.
- Shaker, E., H. Mahmoud, and S. Mnaa. "Silymarin, the antioxidant component and Silybum marianum extracts prevent liver damage." Food and Chemical Toxicology 48.3 (2010): 803-806.
- Vargas-Mendoza, Nancy, et al. "Hepatoprotective effect of silymarin." World journal of hepatology 6.3 (2014): 144.
- San-Miguel, B., et al. "N-acetyl-cysteine protects liver from apoptotic death in an animal model of fulminant hepatic failure." Apoptosis 11.11 (2006): 1945-1957.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.